Davao’s second Startup Weekend kicked off August 9, on Friday evening, as developers, designers, marketers, project managers, data analysts, participants showed up at Ingenuity, who were the host for the event the entire weekend.
Ms. Dulce Rose Lada, head organizer of this year’s Startup Weekend, opened the evening together with Mr. Bert Barriga, co-organizer of the event, and the Executive Vice President of ICT Davao, Inc, as both explained what is Startup Weekend, how the grassroot movement operates here and throughout the world, and what are the tasks expected from each participant. The latter included inviting all participants who already have startup ideas to form 60-second pitches.
After 14 ideas were pitched, participants voted on their favorites (up to 3 votes from each attendee). These ideas were then narrowed down to 9, and now have formed into 6.
Formed teams, with their brief descriptions, are the following:
- News Cues – a geolocation based news portal on your mobile devices you can use on site, on demand and online. A “Foursquare” for news.
- TextFuly – an affordable text-blast marketing platform for establishments and organizations.
- Barter Hound – a website to help you find someone to barter things you want with things you own but wish to trade off as well.
- PBenefits.co – an online solution to access and pay benefits
- Plym – an augmented reality social sharing experience that allows you to leave your mark for others to discover.
- Keep Up! – a fun and convenient way to hold and promote your events. It’s a social media for your occasions.
Saturday and Sunday had every participant working for the entire day, but improvements couldn’t have been possible without the help of the numerous mentors who flew all the way from their cities to join the event and assist the startup teams with their respective products. These mentors included:
- Tina Amper, founder of Techtalks.ph, a non-profit, independent community of business, technology and startup enthusiasts, and Global Organizer for the World Startup Report,
- Pia Angeli Bernal, Manager of Social Enterprise Investments at Kickstart Ventures, an uncorporate incubator that help startups operating in the Philippines to build robust businesses and technical foundations,
- Abhishek Mohan, Regional Director of Excitor Asia, Asian Region for the leading provider of secure mobile device management, mobile email and mobile application solutions,
- Ray Rubio, CEO of CubePixels, a top leading creative outfit based in Davao City,
- Eliza Kirsten Magno, President, Creative Director & Owner of Illumedia, a high-tier multimedia company that caters to foreign and local clientele,
- Christopher John Cubos, Founder and CEO of Philippine Global Outsourcing, an outsourcing partner for creative services for small and large creative companies worldwide,
- George Tujan, Co-Founder and President of Neuraltech Innovations, a technology startup that designs and implements specialized hardware for telemetry and GPS tracking systems,
- Simplicio Jison Jr., President and CEO of Accelerate Desk, an Independent Software Vendor and a Microsoft Partner,
- June Millan, Chief Technology Officer of Ingenuity, a top software design and engineering firm in Davao,
- Raphael Quisumbing, Co-Founder and Senior Web Architect of AVA.ph, the Philippine’s first curated marketplace for well-loved premium brands.
- Kevin Raymund Samson, Technical Designer of Savio Developers, one of the premier developer companies in Davao City.
Come Sunday evening, each team had 5 minutes to present their products, and show to the audience what they spent all weekend working on. 3-5 minutes of Q&A from our judge panel immediately followed each team’s presentation. Judge panel included:
- Justin Cooke, a partner at Empire Flippers, a website investment brokerage and publishing company based out of Davao City,
- Ralph Manalo Wunsch, founder of MetroDeal, an ecommerce marketplace website with more than 1 million active buyers,
- Runar Petursson, CEO of Betur, Inc., a new technology startup in Manila,
- Atty. Samuel Matunog, President of ICT Davao, the umbrella organization of all information and communication technology groups based in Davao,
- Judah Hirsch, Managing Director and Founder of Triple I Consulting, a consulting firm whose main focus is to assist small and medium sized BPOs in establishing and setting up in the Philippines.
After a suspenseful 15 minutes of judges deliberation, awards were given and winners were determined as follows:
1st – Keep Up! (Alexandra Victoria A. Eneco, Mary Mynell B. Mariano, Jasper M. Adlaon, Marcel Tunichii T. Villaruz)
2nd – PBenefits.co (Ma. Linnet B. Viloria, Nick Carpio Mesias, Sheenah Seto, Fernando Azucena, Gretchil Sayon)
3rd – Plym (Hitesh Dhanwani, Nap Joseph Calub, Ray Anthony Saavedra, Guy Romelle Magayano, Arjay dela Cruz)
Crowd Favorite – Plym
Organizers would like to give out their huge thanks to all their sponsors, particularly Platinum Sponsors Kickstart Ventures, Globe Telecom and Ingenuity, as well as other sponsors, volunteers, judges and mentors who made this 2nd Startup Weekend Davao successful.
Startup Weekend is a global movement of active and empowered entrepreneurs who are learning the basics of founding startups and launching successful ventures. It gathers startup enthusiasts to meet, pitch ideas, form teams, build products and launch a startup in 54 hours. It originated in Seattle, Washington in 2007. For more complete details, check the event’s website at http://davao.startupweekend.org.